Monday 19 August 2013

3 - Golcar Huddersfield



House 3 - Golcar 



I was not going to buy another one until house 2 was sold - but it was finished and confidence of a quick sale was high on my behalf and house 3 was just too good of an opportunity to miss out on - a private sale down the road from where the last one was  - the home made sign had only just gone up that day.
It was the vendor's uncle that lived here  - eventually too old and not mobile enough to get around, he ended up living in the basement and abandoning the rest of the house. He lived this way for some time - pretty grim some may say but at least he still had his independence.

The market was well and truly rock bottom round here, and bargains were to be had. Theye'd had it valued for auction and was told offers around 40,000 which they thought was a bit low so tried to sell it themselves for 57,000. They managed to squeeze 49,000 out of me  - it was a fair price
- I had enough for the deposit and a bit more to get me started and tide me over until house 2 was sold.
Unfortunately for me house 2 did not sell so quickly and when I did get a sale it fell through twice leaving me close to financial ruin.
Fortunately I managed to scrape by, by the skin of my teeth thanks to selling items on Ebay like my surfboard quiver which broke my heart and it  slowed down the whole process of doing up house 3 which should have been finished 2 months ago.
I got my sale of 2 and it was time to get back down to spending some money on the things that mattered (new surfboard for one). My initial thoughts were to convert the basement into a good sized kitchen - which is done a lot round here, but it was going to cost more than the rest of the house put together and very labour intensive, not to mention building control approval and all the other  necessary paperwork.
The living room was still huge so opted for a kitchen fitted in the living room open plan.
The main bedroom was also huge so we've made a bathroom up there too as before all there was was a bath in the basement with a pull down worktop over it and a downstairs toilet.
Then the usual re-wiring, central heating, plastering, and  it was here I met my new decorator - Alan Hirst - another one now joined the team of trades. there was also a bit of work to do on the roof  - the slates were Westmorland so opted to keep them and just have it repaired where needed. Then the carpets and a new front door.
I decided to use a local agent from down the road in Milnsbridge - Holroyd and Co.  who did a great job of selling it for me with a big thanks to Mandy. 

Here are some photos of when it was bought.

basement - where the old guy lived

basement - bath with integrated pull down work top toilet through doorway.

living room

living room

 Where those step ladders are is now where the end of the bath comes to

bedroom 1

bedroom 2

Photos after  - sold for 79,950

















No comments:

Post a Comment